Saturday, April 10, 2010

just a quick little something

this is the last dance of my senior year. the prom. why am i not excited? no clue. i guess for someone with no *safe* dancing abilities, nor a *real* date, it's just another excuse for me to observe the local human population and record the data in my journal. my plans for tonight: two or three hours at the actual dance (themed "masquerade") doing much of nothing, expanding a great boredom bubble, untill i can duck out and sit in my car in front of the after-prom location, reading soulless untill the doors open. i hope to be home to be home before midnight, as i actually have church in the morning, and it usually takes me forever to wake up properly as it is.

so, if this is the way i feel about it, why even bother going? because the more i think about not going this year, the more i start to cringe at last year's prom experience. one hour into it, i started feeling the dastardly effects of a cold or the flu. two hours into it, i lost my voice, and the heavy base thumping over the speakers was making me dizzy. two and a half hours into it, i left. the moment i started my mama's car, i realized i'd broken her driver's side power window on the way there. so i drove home, sick, with the windo wide open, as an uncharacteristicly cold rain/snow combo pelted me at 55 mph. twenty minutes later, i arrived home to an empty house, and a list of chores to do before bed. so there i was, in my prom dress (a flowy cornflower blue number with a tight sparkelly bodice), washing dishes, sniffelling both with sick and with sadness. there were no pictures that year.

so, even if tonight, the entire thing turns out completely boring, or even if something spilled on my dress, it's still sure to be better than last year. as long as that sick night won't be my final memory of school functions, and how i left this tiny town. or, if something horrible happens, like some (w)itches decide to re-enact a "carrie" scene, or some jerk-wad makes a bet with his buddies that is sure to end horribly for me... well, i suppose you'll be hearing from me again soon.

time to go get ready. wish me luck.

oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment