Monday, November 8, 2010

happy randomness

every holliday season, i look forward to watching "how the grinch stole christmas" -- not the newish one starring jim carey, although it is hillarious. no, i'm talking the dr. seuss/chuck jones cartoon where the grinch was voiced by the ledgendary borris karloff. it makes me happy, and i get quite upset when i miss out on it.

i long for the days when the meaning of "stress" was "school" and i was easy-going and free.

when i was once an old man, i could polka with the best of them, but this evil little girl and her cat stole my artificial hip, and i could polka no more...

you remind me of the babe. (what babe?) the babe with the power. (what power?) the power of voodoo. (who do?) you do! (do what?) remind me of the babe. (what babe?) the babe with the power. (what power?) the power of voodoo. (who do?) you do! (do what?) remind me of the babe.....

i love the muppets. kermit was cool, and gonzo was funny. miss piggie was an awesome sexy screwup. but my favorite always was, and always will be, sweetums, the tall, hairy troll-type monster guy who made his debut in jim hensen's "the frog prince", where he would always fall asleep after hearing his lullabye, "sweetums lay your ugly head down upon your wretched bed; bunnykins is sweet and cute, go to sleep you stupid brute." (nighty-niiiiiigght....)

i desperately wish i could play an instrument. any instrument. i have several. i got an acustic guitar, but was only taught a C chord, and it's been so long, i think i even forgot that. on piano, i can plink out single-note songs with the best of them ("ode to joy", "the addams family theme", "joy to the world", "jerimiah was a bull frog"...) but can not make it sound like i actually play. i can play a mean penny-whistle (irish flute) but that's about it. i want to play bagpipes, but in a punk rock way. ooh! or the organ! that would rock... i'd probably need to play piano first, though...

when i was just becoming a teen (like, twelve, thirteen, fourteen), and my parents were bracing themselves for the teenage rebellion (piercings, tats, hormone-induced fights, screamo played loudly), they got one, but not the one they were expecting (anti-social, weird costumes, journals documenting people's behavior, opera played loudly). i think i turned out okay.

i absolutely love sock monkeys. hint to all.

i was asked about my "dream man" the other day. it got me thinking. this is what i came up with: he must be as odd as me, or agree to let me transform him into an oddity. he has to be willing to wear a cape in public, often. he must not have too high hopes for me when it comes to dancing (or wear steel-toe shoes and football equipment when we do). it wouldn't hurt if there was hair on his chest.

i quite adore hats of just about any kind. i have over thirty of my own, and am always on the lookout for more.

for those in the know: afooglie!!!

3 comments:

  1. I like my black socks. But I'm thinking of having one black sock on my left foot and a white one on my right.

    It is always extremely awkward when you walk into the restroom and you see one of your teachers peeing there. It's even more awkward when you pee right next to them... awkward.

    ASS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the cartoon, Franki. Sometimes, its really refreshing to see the classics. You don't need to be awesome to play instruments. Just play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. another reader of my blog! huzzah!

    thank you for that, dear balec, grinch opinion and musical build-uppi-ness alike.

    and semaj? the sock thing? go for it, dude. every other day, switch it up: white on left and black on right. i have never had the walk-in-on-my-peeing-teacher thing, as i am unable to use a urinal. i have heard one have constipation next to me once, tho. *shudder and weep with memory*

    thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete